Chicken legs are one of those deeply discounted items I run into on a regular basis and can be great for a family on a limited budget. However, you do need to be adventuresome to combat chicken leg boredom if you are eating them regularly. This recipe is anything but boring. This is one where you look for bread to mop up the plate when the food is gone. It borders on tantalizing.
I serve this dish with Israeli couscous that has been toasted in garlic and then cooked in chicken broth. Include a green salad with a citrus dressing and you have a feast on a budget.
This gem of a recipe comes from the Food Network Favorite Recipes, obviously inspired by North African cuisine. I made a few changes and so will you. Be inspired.
Baked Chicken Legs Ingredients
- 8 chicken legs
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely minced mint
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 dozen dried apricots, cut in half
- 3/4 cups green olives
Baked Chicken Legs Steps
- Liberally salt and pepper the chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet until the oil is shimmering.
- Fry the chicken legs in oil turning legs until the skin is brown all around.
- On a second burner saute the onion, garlic, mint, and red pepper flakes in the other 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Cook until the onion is tender then add the apricots and olives. Combine thoroughly to coat the apricots and olives with oil.
- Arrange the onion-olive-apricot mix in an oiled casserole.
- Place the chicken legs on the onion mix with the skin-side up.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Do not cover the casserole. In thirty minutes the meat should be cooked and tender but not dried out.
- Serve with couscous or brown rice pilaf and a green salad.
- If you happen to have any legs left over, consider them for travel food. If you pack the legs without the accompanying olives, etc, you have a great finger food and the flavor is still outstanding at room temperature.
You might also enjoy: