Do you revel in the many ways you sneak zucchini into your menus? If you grow your own zucchini then you already know how you have to stay ahead of the crop. One of the easiest ways of incorporating zucchini in you dishes is to use overgrown zucchini that has been grated or ground. Who would expect grated zucchini in a chocolate cake? This recipe has been adapted from the little zucchini cookbook put out by Wilderness House.
The cake is rich in chocolate flavor and dense. The surprise of cinnamon makes the flavor bright and unusual. Enjoy it without frosting — it is that good. If you need something more festive, try a creamed cheese frosting. The mellow cheese makes a fine complement to the chocolate. No one will ever suspect your secret “green” ingredient.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups freshly ground spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
It is important that these ingredients all be room temperature or the coconut oil will harden making it impossible to get an even mix in the batter.
- 3/4 cups melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup milk
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Steps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix the moist ingredients in a second bowl. Mix thoroughly. Remember it is important that these ingredients be at room temperature.
- Pour into butter baking dish and place in heated oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Pay attention to what your nose is telling you. Your cake could finish sooner than this. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. If the toothpick has batter clinging to it, keep baking.
- Cool and enjoy. This freezes well and is a pleasant addition to the lunch box.
Creamed Cheese Frosting (optional but delectable)
Cream together 1/2 cup soft butter with 1/2 cup soft creamed cheese. Add powdered sugar to a good spreading consistency. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat well. Frost the cake and keep in a cool place or the frosting could melt.
You might also enjoy: