This basic recipe has become a go-to “candy” recipe in the house inspired by a recipe developed by Tropical Traditions. It combines coconut, peanuts, and chocolate to make an exceptional treat for all ages. Our children call it “candy” and prefer it over any other “candy” they might find out in the big, bad candy world. In fact, when I was shooting the picture, the hand reaching for the candy was entirely unplanned. That is my three-year-old taking his opportunity.
This recipe is extremely versatile. Explore different nuts, seeds, and sweeteners. The proportions are totally forgiving as well. Experiment. The sugar in the recipe is optional; chocolate chips provide a nice level of sweetness on their own.
Coconut Candy Ingredients
- 1 cup of coconut cream concentrate (coconut butter)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup peanut/almond butter
- 1 cup peanuts/almonds, chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup rapadura sugar (optional)
Coconut Candy Steps
- Warm the coconut cream concentrate so that it can be stirred.
- In a mixer, combine coconut cream concentrate and coconut oil until well mixed. (This step can be done by hand but the coconut cream concentrate is much easier handled in a mixer.)
- Add nut butter. Blend well.
- Add sugar (optional). Blend well.
- On a cookie sheet greased with coconut oil, sprinkle shredded coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips.
- Drizzle the coconut cream mixture over the chocolate and coconut, taking care to stir in the sugar so that it is well blended.
- When the coconut cream mixture forms a thin layer on top of the chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut, move the cookie sheet to the freezer until mixture is frozen.
- After about 30 minutes in the freezer, remove the cookie sheet and break the mixture into chips using a spatula. A thin layer of the coconut cream mixture will be very easy to break apart.
- Move the pieces into a freezer container for storage.
Serve the candy immediately from the freezer — the coconut oil will melt in your hands if kept too long.
If you are new to coconut product shopping, check out the catalog at Tropical Traditions. On your first order, you will receive a book about coconut oil and I will receive a discount coupon as well.
This post was shared at Gooseberry Patch’s Gifts from the Kitchen.
You might also enjoy: