If you are fortunate enough to grow your own tomatillos or have access to a Mexican grocery, here is a delectable sauce to make a staple in your menu planning. It can be used as a base for soups, salsas and sauces. Be creative. Watch our tomatillo sauce video below or follow the written instructions.
Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
- 1 large green bell pepper cut in quarters
- 1 large onion cut in quarters
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2-4 cloves garlic depending on your love for garlic
Tomatillo Sauce Steps
- Husk and wash the tomatillos
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan
- Pour in about a pint of water and cover with a tight-fitting lid
- Cook until all ingredients are soft, about 20-30 minutes
- Drain off the liquid
- Run the cooked veggies through a food processor
- For salsa, add some minced hot pepper and minced fresh cilantro. Be bold in playing with this. Different peppers, green onions, fresh garlic – add things you generally like in your salsa. Green salsa traditionally has green ingredients, but you do not need to be limited.
- Add one cup of crushed hulled pumpkin seed to three cups of sauce. Pour over a large skilled of fried zucchini. Toss well and cover with grated Colby jack cheese. Melt the cheese and enjoy.
Enjoy your tomatillo sauce!
You might also enjoy: